Dennis is a Partner in our Corporate Finance team with over 15 years of experience in Forensic Accounting and Corporate Advisory roles, including the past 11 years working exclusively on Forensic Accounting, Expert Witness and Business Valuation matters.
Dennis’ clients value his hands-on, detailed and methodical approach, and his ability to explain complex issues in a simple way. Dennis has a particular focus on providing expert opinion on loss and damage, litigious and non-litigious valuations and matters involving retail/leasing disputes, shareholder oppression, post-acquisition/completion account disputes and insurance claims.
Dennis is an experienced commercial litigation specialist and has extensive loss and damage, post-acquisition dispute, valuation and investigations experience. Dennis’ experience consists of undertaking numerous independent and consulting expert assignments for a wide variety of legal, government and private sector clients.
Dennis has prepared reports and given evidence in many Australian courts, including Federal Court, Supreme Court of Victoria, Country Court of Victoria, Family Court and several administrative and arbitral tribunals. Over his career to date, Dennis has prepared over 250 expert reports, independent accountant reports or submissions on behalf of clients involved in dispute processes.
Dennis has a broad experience in many types of commercial disputes, including loss quantification, loss of opportunity, shareholder oppression, post-acquisition/purchase price disputes, insurance claims, intellectual property matters, franchise disputes, financial investigations, accounting disputes and assessments of solvency.
Dennis presents to the legal profession on a regular basis on accounting, finance, solvency and expert witness matters, having given over 50 presentations over the past five years to various law firms and legal associations. Dennis was also a founding member of the Alumni Council for the Faculty of Business and Economics at the University of Melbourne and has been a student mentor through the University of Melbourne for more than 10 years.
Recent examples of Dennis' work include:
- Quantifying loss suffered at a suburban Melbourne retail store of a national homewares business due to an alleged building defect.
- Giving testifying evidence in County Court regarding the value of a mortgage loan book.
- Quantifying the value of the shareholder loan of a construction business for the purposes of a shareholder dispute.
- Assisting companies seeking to make a claim for loss or respond to a claim of loss as a consulting expert, starting with financial investigation and identifying potential losses through to assisting with reviewing expert reports and providing questions for cross-examination at trial.
- Preparing numerous submissions to independent accountants or valuers on behalf of purchasers, vendors or parties involved in disputes over the value of a business or working capital/completion account balances.